|Professor of Digital Economy in the School of Computer Science at the University of Nottingham. I am Director of Horizon, an interdisciplinary research institute funded through the RCUK Digital Economy programme. I also work closely with the Digital Catapult as an adviser on their personal data programme.|
Derek McAuley (disambiguation).
ResearchSee this blog and the Horizon website; scroll down for publications; UK research grants on Gateway to Research.
Contact: tweets: @drdrmc
Horizon Digital Economy Research
derek.mcauley (at) nottingham.ac.uk
tel: +44 115 846 8381
More BackgroundI am Professor of Digital Economy in the School of Computer Science and Director of Horizon at the University of Nottingham. After a PhD and lectureship in the Computer Laboratory at the University of Cambridge I moved to a chair in Department of Computer Science at the University of Glasgow. I returned to Cambridge in July 1997, to help found the Cambridge Microsoft Research facility, moving on to found the Intel lablet in Cambridge in July 2002. A year working in Oregon for Intel from August 2005 until August 2006, was an interesting cultural diversion and improved the skiing enormously, but alas during this sojourn the Cambridge lablet was shut. Before joining Nottingham I enjoyed the cut and thrust of two startups, XenSource (now Citrix) and Netronome. Most recently, a fun year was spent as Chief Innovation Officer (in residence) at the Digital Catapult during its startup phase in 2013/2014.
My research expertise is in ubiquitous computing, computer architecture, networking, distributed systems and operating systems, while my interdisciplinary interests include issues of ethics, identity, privacy, information policy, legislation and economics within a digital society.
I am a Fellow of the British Computer Society and member of the UKCRC, a computing research expert panel of the IET and BCS.
Publications etc.What Google Scholar has found. What Microsoft Academic says.
- I.M. Leslie and D.R. McAuley. Fairisle: An ATM Network for the Local Area. ACM Communication Review, 19(4):327--336, 1991. SIGCOMM '91
- Hayter, M., McAuley, D., The Desk--Area Network, ACM Operating System Review 25, Oct 1991, pp. 14--21.
- I. M. Leslie, D. R. McAuley, and S. J. Mullender, Pegasus --- operating system support for distributed multimedia systems, ACM Operating Systems Review, vol. 27, pp. 69--78, Jan. 1993.
- I. M. Leslie, D. R. McAuley, and D. L. Tennenhouse, ATM everywhere?, IEEE Network, vol. 7, pp. 40--46, Mar. 1993.
- R. Black, I. Leslie, and D. McAuley. Experiences of building an ATM switch for the Local Area. ACM Communication Review, 24(4), 1994. SIGCOMM '94
- P. Barham, M. Hayter, D. McAuley, and I. Pratt. Devices on the Desk Area Network, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communication, 13(4):722--732, May 1995.
- I. M. Leslie, D. McAuley, R. Black, T. Roscoe, P. Barham, D. Evers, R. Fairbairns, and E. Hyden, The design and implementation of an operating system to support distributed multimedia applications. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 14(7):1280--1297, September 1996. [pdf]
- Satnam Singh, Jonathan Hogg and Derek McAuley. Expressing Dynamic Reconfiguration by Partial Evaluation. FCCM'96. IEEE Computer Society. 1996.
- D. R. McAuley and I. M. Leslie, The Desk Area Network, Electron. Commun. Eng. J. -- June 1997 -- Volume 9, Issue 3, p.143–152, [doi][pdf]
- Peter Key and Derek McAuley, Differential pricing and QoS in networks: where flow-control meets game theory. IEE Proceedings -- Software, 146(2), 1999.
- K.A. Williams, G.F. Roberts, T. Lin, R.V. Penty, I.H. White, M. Glick, D. McAuley, Integrated optical 2x2 switch for wavelength multiplexed interconnect, IEEE Journal Sel. Topics Quantum Electronics, Jan/Feb 2005 vol 11.
- A. W. Moore, L. B. James, M. Glick, A. Wonfor, R. G. Plumb, I. H. White, D. McAuley, R. V. Penty, Optical network packet error rate due to physical layer coding, Journal of Lightwave Technology, Oct 2005. [doi][pdf]
- T. Lin, K.A. Williams, R.V. Penty, I.H. White, M. Glick, D. McAuley, Performance and Scalability of a Single Stage SOA Switch for 100Gb/s Wavelength Striped Packet Routing, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters Volume 18, Issue 5, March 2006.
- Ian H. White, Kevin A. Williams, Richard V Penty, Tao Lin, Adrian Wonfor, Eng Tin Aw, Madeleine Glick, Michael Dales and Derek McAuley, Control architecture for high capacity multi-stage photonic switch circuits, Journal Optical Networking (JON), Volume 6, Issue 2, Feb 2007.
- H. Haddadi, R. Mortier, S. Hand, I. Brown, E. Yoneki, D. McAuley, J. Crowcroft, Privacy Analytics, ACM Computer Communication Review (CCR), 42(2), April 2012, Editorial [doi][pdf].
- M Radenkovic, A Benslimane, D McAuley, Reputation Aware Obfuscation for Mobile Opportunistic Networks, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (99), Oct 2013 [doi]
- Ben Bedwell, Caroline Leygue, Murray Goulden, Derek McAuley, James Colley, Eamonn Ferguson, Nick Banks, Alexa Spence, Apportioning energy consumption in the workplace: a review of issues in using metering data to motivate staff to save energy, Technology Analysis & Strategic Management, 26(10), 2014 [doi]
- Schnädelbach, H., Coughlan, T., Kefalidou, G., McAuley, D., Meese, R., Creativity Bento Box-A Physical Resource Pack to Support Interaction in Virtual Space, International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 2015 [doi]
- RK Perrons, D McAuley, The case for “n «all”: Why the Big Data revolution will probably happen differently in the mining sector, Resources Policy 46, 234-238 [doi]
- H. Schnädelbachh, Xu Sun, G. Kefalidou, T. Coughlan, R. Meese, J. Norris, D. Mcauley, Creativity Greenhouse: At-a-distance collaboration and competition over research funding International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 87 2016
- M. Goulden, C. Greiffenhagen, J. Crowcroft, D. McAuley, R. Mortier, M. Radenkovic & A. Sathiaseelan, Wild interdisciplinarity: ethnography and computer science, Journal: International Journal of Social Research Methodology, April 2016 [doi]
- D.R. McAuley, Omega: a desktop area network as a multi-media end system, 1st NOSSDAV Workshop, Berkeley, Nov 1991
- DJ Greaves and D McAuley. Private ATM Networks. In IFIP 3rd International Workshop on Protocols for high speed networks, May 1992. Stockholm.
- David J. Greaves, Derek McAuley, and Leslie J. French, Protocol and interface for ATM LANs, in Proceedings, 5th IEEE Workshop on Metropolitan Area Networks, Taormina, Italy (May 1992).
- D. R. McAuley, Operating system support for the Desk Area Network, in Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Network and Operating System Support for Digital Audio and Video, (Lancaster, U.K.), pp. 3--10, Lancaster University, Nov. 1993.
- Robertson, G., and McAuley, D., Sample Rate Sychronization across an ATM network, proceeding of the International Computer Music Conference 97.
- Mullender, S., Leslie, I., and McAuley, D. Operating-system support for distributed multimedia. In Proceedings of the Summer USENIX Conference, June 1994. [pdf]
- D McAuley, Networking Futures, Invited paper ITC 99.
- Rolf Neugebauer and Derek McAuley, Congestion Prices as Feedback Signals: An Approach to QoS Management, 9th ACM SigOps Workshop, 2000
- Rolf Neugebauer and Derek McAuley, Energy is just another resource: Energy accounting and energy pricing in the Nemesis OS, HotOS VIII
- D McAuley, QoS for multimedia; what's going to make it pay?; IDMS 2001
- A.R. Davies, K.A. Williams, R.V. Penty and I.H. White, M.,Glick and D. McAuley, Variable gain operation of a gain-clamped sampled grating laser amplifier, CLEO 2002
- A. Wonfor, R.V. Penty, I.H. White, and D McAuley, Automatic Polarisation Dependent Gain Compensation in Semiconductor Optical Amplifiers using Contact Monitoring, OFC 2002
- K.A. Williams, R.V. Penty, I.H. White, and D. McAuley, Advantages of Gain Clamping in Semiconductor Amplifier Crosspoint Switches, OFC 2002
- D.McAuley, Bayesian Systems Design, Soft-Ware 2002.
- D. Hunter and D. McAuley, An IP-over-OPS Network, IP over WDM workshop, Networking 2002.
- A. Davies, K. Williams, R. Penty, I. White, M. Williams, D. McAuley, P Williams, Broadband gain clamped Semiconductor Optical Amplifier with variable gain operation, ECOC 2002.
- K. Williams, R. Penty, I. White, M. Glick, D. McAuley, Packet Switched Optical Data Networking using Coarse Wavelength Division Multiplexing, IEE Conference On Photonic Access Technologies, 2002.
- K.A.Williams, G.F. Roberts, R.V. Penty, I.H. White, M. Glick, D. McAuley, D.J. Kang, M.G. Blamire, Monolithic 2x2 Amplifying Add/Drop Optical Switch for Data Networking, SIOE 2003.
- D. McAuley and R. Neugebauer, A case for Virtual Channel Processors, NICELI 2003.
- G.F. Roberts, K.A. Williams, R.V. Penty, I.H, White, M. Glick, D. McAuley, D.J.Kang, M. Blamire Integrated SOA based add-drop multiplexer for WDM optical packet routing with reduced distortion penalty, CLEO 2004.
- G.F. Roberts, K.A. Williams, J. Sosabowski, R.V. Penty, I.H, White, M. Glick, D. McAuley Multi-wavelength Optical Add-Drop Multiplexer with Nanosecond Reconfiguration Times for Local Area Networking, Photonics Europe, April 2004.
- T. Lin, W. Tang, K.A. Williams, G. Roberts, L. James, R.V. Penty, I.H, White, M. Glick, D. McAuley 80Gb/s Optical Packet Routing for Data Networking using FPGA Based 100Mb/s Control Scheme, ECOC 2004.
- L James, A Moore, R Plumb, M Glick, A Wonfor, I White, D McAuley, R Penty, Beyond Gigabit Ethernet: Physical Layer Issues in Future Optical Networks, London Communications Symposium, September 2004. [pdf]
- L James, A Moore, R Plumb, M Glick, A Wonfor, I White, D McAuley, R Penty, Packet error rate and bit error rate non-deterministic relationship in optical network application, OFC 2005. [pdf]
- T. Lin, K.A. Williams, R.V. Penty, I.H, White, M. Glick, D. McAuley, Self-Configuring Intelligent Control for Short Reach 100Gb/s Optical Packet Routing, OFC 2005.
- T. Lin, K. A. Williams, R. V. Penty, I. H, White, M. Glick, M. Dales, D. McAuley, Multi-Port Interconnect Architecture for 100Gb/s Optical Packet Routing, ECOC 2005
- T. Lin, K. A. Williams, R.V. Penty, I. H. White, M. Dale, M. Glick and D. McAuley, A Wavelength Striped Optically Switch Interconnect and 100Gb/s Packet Routing, Second e-Photon/ONe Summer School, Pisa, Italy, Aug, 2005.
- Michael Dales, Madeleine Glick, Derek McAuley, Considerations for Control Planes in High-Capacity, Low-Latency, Optically-Switched Interconnects, Infocom Workshop 2006.
- D McAuley, Network Flow Processing in Carrier Ethernet, Linley Seminar, Jan 2008.
- D McAuley, Virtualization in Network Appliances, XenSummit, Boston, June 2008.
- J LeVasseur, R Panayappan, E Skoglund, C du Toit, L Lynch, A Ward, D Rao, R Neugebauer, D McAuley, Standardized but Flexible I/O for Self-Virtualizing Devices, WIOV08, Dec 2008.[pdf]
- D McAuley, Flexible I/O for Self-Virtualizing Devices, Syscon Virtualization Conference, Mar 2009.
- R. Mortier, C. Greenhalgh, D. McAuley, A. Spence, A. Madhavapeddy, J. Crowcroft, S. Hand, Personal Containers or, Your Life in Bits, Digital Futures Workshop, Oct 2010 [pdf]
- Anil Madhavapeddy, Richard Mortier, Ripduman Sohan, Thomas Gazagnaire, Steven Hand, Tim Deegan, Derek McAuley and Jon Crowcroft, Turning down the LAMP: Software Specialisation for the Cloud, 2nd USENIX Workshop on Hot Topics in Cloud Computing (HotCloud '10), June 2010. [pdf]
- D.McAuley, R. Mortier, and J. Goulding, The Dataware Manifesto, COMSNETS 2011, Bangalore, Jan 2011.[doi][pdf]
- A. Durrant, D. Rowland, D. Kirk, S. Benford, J. Fischer, D. McAuley, Automics: Souvenir Generating Photoware for Theme Parks, CHI 2011, May 2011.[pdf]
- J. Marshall, D. Rowland, S. Rennick-Egglestone, S. Benford, B. Walker, D. McAuley, Breath Control of Amusement Rides, CHI 2011, May 2011.[pdf]
- S. Rennick-Egglestone, B. Walker, J. Marshall, S. Benford, D. McAuley, Analysing the playground: Sensitizing concepts to inform systems that promote playful interaction, INTERACT 2011.[pdf]
- C. Leygue, A. Spence, C. O’Malley, B. Bedwell, T. Rodden, and D. McAuley, Energy Displays and Environmental Behavior: The Role of Social Values and Psychological Distance of Climate Change, in Environmental Psychology conference, Sep 2011.[pdf]
- A. Durrant, M. Golembewski, D.S. Kirk, S. Benford, D. Rowland, D. McAuley, Exploring a digital economy design space in theme parks, Proc. 2nd Conference on Creativity and Innovation in Design, Oct 2011.[doi]
- R. Mortier, T. Rodden, T. Lodge, D. McAuley, C. Rotsos, A. W. Moore, A. Koliousis, J. Sventek, Control and Understanding: Owning Your Home Network, COMSNETS 2012, Bangalore, Jan 2012.[pdf]
- L. Carletti, D. Price, R. Sinker, G. Giannachi, D. McAuley, J. Stack, K. Beaver, J. Mundy, Art mapping in Paris, CHI'13 Extended Abstracts, paris 2013. [link]
- L. Edwards, D. McAuley, What’s in a name? Real name policies and social networks, Workshop on Internet Science and Web Science Synergies, Paris, May 2013. [pdf]
- J. Blum, M. Flintham, R. Jacobs, V. Shipp, G. Kefalidou, M. Brown, D. McAuley, The timestreams platform: artist mediated participatory sensing for environmental discourse, Proceedings of UBICOMP '13. [pdf][doi]
- Milena Radenkovic, Heidi Howard, Jon Crowcroft, Murray Goulden, Christian Greiffenhagen, Derek McAuley, Richard Mortier, Providing security for wireless community networks, ACM MobiCom workshop, Sep 2013. [doi]
- Carletti, L., McAuley, D., Price, D., & Giannachi, G. , Digital Humanities and Crowdsourcing: an Exploration. Selected papers from Museum and the Web 2013. [link]
- Saeed M Alqahtani, Sultan Alanazi, Derek McAuley, The Role of Enterprise Social Networking (ESN) on Business: Five Effective Recommendations for ESN, Proc. Conf. Dependability and Complex Systems DepCoS-RELCOMEX, 2014. [doi]
- Svenja Adolphs & Derek McAuley, Trajectories of identity in social media, Sociolinguistics Symposium 20, June 2014, Jyväskylä, Finland. [abstract]
- Coughlan, T., Brown, M., McAuley D., Baurley S., Tsai, A., Koppe, T., Elliott, M., Green, S. & Martin, J. Living with the User: Design Drama for Dementia Care through Responsive Scripted Experiences in the Home. UbiComp '14, Sep 13-17 2014, Seattle, WA, USA. [pdf]
- SM Alqahtani, S Alanazi, D McAuley, The Role of Enterprise Social Networking (ESN) on Business: Five Effective Recommendations for ESN, Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Dependability
- Tim Coughlan, Michael Brown, Glyn Lawson, Derek McAuley, Allen Tsai, Therese Koppe, Meretta Elliott, Stephen Green, Sharon Baurley, Jen Martin, Living with the user: design drama for dementia care through responsive scripted experiences in the home, Proceedings of the PERCOM 2014
- Arjuna Sathiaseelan, Richard Mortier, Murray Goulden, Christian Greiffenhagen, Milena Radenkovic, Jon Crowcroft, Derek McAuley, A Feasibility Study of an In-the-Wild Experimental Public Access WiFi Network, Proceedings of the Fifth ACM Symposium on Computing for Development, 2014
- Tim Coughlan, Laura Carletti, Gabriella Giannachi, Steve Benford, Derek McAuley, Dominic Price, Cristina Locatelli, Rebecca Sinker, John Stack, ArtMaps: interpreting the spatial footprints of artworks, ACM CHI 2015.
- Koene, A., Perez, E., Carter, C., Statache, R., Adolphs, S., O’Malley, C., Rodden, T., McAuley, D., Research Ethics and Public Trust, Preconditions for Continued Growth of Internet Mediated Research, 1st International Conference on Information System Security and Privacy (ICISSP), 2015.
- Koene, A., Perez, El., Carter, C., Statache, R., Adolphs, S., O’Malley, C., Rodden, T., McAuley, D., Ethics of Personalized Information Filtering, Internet Science, 123-132, 2015,Springer International Publishing.
- Price, D., McAuley, D., Mortier, R., Greenhalgh, C., Brown, M., Angelopoulos, S., Inter-social-networking: accounting for multiple identities, Social Computing and Social Media, 242-252, 2015, Springer International Publishing
- A. Chaudhry, J. Crowcroft, H, Howard, A. Madhavapeddy, R. Mortier, H. Haddadi, D. McAuley, Personal Data: Thinking Inside the Box, Aarhus Series on Human Centered Computing,1, 1, 4, 2015
- C.J. Carter, A. Koene, E. Perez, R. Statache, S. Adolphs, C. O'Malley, T. Rodden, D. McAuley, Understanding academic attitudes towards the ethical challenges posed by social media research, ACM SIGCAS Computers and Society, 45,3, pp202-210 2016
- E. Perez Vallejos, A. Koene, C.J. Carter, R. Statache, T. Rodden, D. McAuley, M. Cano, S. Adolphs, C. O'Malley, K. Pothong, Juries: acting out digital dilemmas to promote digital reflections, ACM SIGCAS Computers and Society, 45, 3 pp84-90, 2016
- A. Koene, E. Perez, C.J. Carter, R. Statache, S. Adolphs, C. O'Malley, T. Rodden, D. McAuley, Privacy concerns arising from internet service personalization filters, ACM SIGCAS Computers and Society, 45, 3, pp167-171, 2016
- Networking with Revd Bayes, Multiservice Networks 2001.
- Optical Local Area Networks, Cambridge University Engineering Dept Seminar June 2003.
- Exploratory Research: One route to innovation, People Inspired Innovation III, September 2003.
- Packet Traces: good for a small delta, invited talk at International Linear Algebra Society Workshop on Non-negative Matrices , July 2004.
- Where is Moore's Law taking us?, keynote at PREP 2004, April 2004; and, Annual Shamim Siddiqiu Lecture, University of Essex, October 2004.
- Hamilton Bicentenary Year 2005 Public Lecture, Royal Irish Academy, February 2005.
- Exploiting heterogeneous cores for network flow processing, keynote address, ANCS 2008, Nov 2008.
- Case studies in Ubicomp commercialization, Grand Challenges Spring School, Apr 2009.
- Some challenges in the Digital Economy, Activate 2009, London, July 2009.
- Location in Context, LBS 2009, Nottingham, September 2009.[slides]
- Prepare for success, Activate 2010, London, July 2010.
- Keeping it Personal, keynote address, PERCOM 2011, Seattle, March 2011.[slides]
- Locational Data: Opportunity and Fears, WebSci 2011, June 2011. [slides]
- Getting Creative with the Cloud, CloudCom 2013, Dec 2013. [slides]
- CDEC Introduction, Workshop on Social Media, Bangalore, Feb 2014. [slides]
- Horizon Social Media Research, Workshop on Social Media, Bangalore, Feb 2014. [slides]
- Evidence at UK parliament Science and Technology select committee on Social media and real time analytics, June 2014 [written] [video] [transcript]
- Derek McAuley. Protocol Design for High Speed Networks. PhD thesis, published as Technical report 186. University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory, January 1990.
- Derek McAuley David Greaves. Private ATM networks. Technical Report 92-7, Olivetti Research Ltd, 1992.
- S. J. Mullender, I. M. Leslie, and D. McAuley, Pegasus Project Description, University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory, Technical Report No. 281, Sep. 1992.
- I. Leslie, D. McAuley, and S. Mullender, Pegasus -- Operating Support for Distributed Multimedia Systems, Tech. Rep. TR 282/Pegagus-92-2, University of Cambridge, Computer Laboratory, December 1992.
- I. Leslie, D. McAuley, R. Needham, C. Nicolaou, A Unified Approach to Real-Time Miltronic Network Architectures, DRA Farnborough FRN1c/600 March 1994.
- D. McAuley et al., Topics in High Performance Networking Support of Distributed Systems, SIGCOMM’94 tutorial, August 1994
- D.D. Lee, D.R. McAuley, D. Northcutt, and N. Wilhelm. High Speed Serial Communications for Desktop Computer Peripherals. US Patent 16747-8/P973, 1995.
- I. Leslie, D. McAuley, R. Needham, C. Nicolaou, S. Crosby, ATM in Civil Avionics, DRA Farnborough ATF/2770, November 1996.
- P. B. Key, D. R. McAuley, P. Barham, and K. Laevens, Congestion pricing for congestion avoidance, Microsoft Research Technical Report MSR-TR-99-15, MSR, 1999.
- Lavens, K, Key, P., and McAuley, D., An ECN-based end-to-end congestion-control framework: experiments and evaluation. Microsoft Research Technical Report, MSR-TR-2000-104, October 2000.
- D McAuley, Optical Local Area Network, Computer Systems: Theory, Technology and Applications, Springer Verlag, December 2003.
- C. Diot, G. Iannaccone, D. McAuley., TCP congestion control, a Weapon of Mass destruction, IRC-TR-03-001. December 2003.
- D. McAuley, Personal Computing And The Power Of Illusion, IEE Review February 2005.
- Laura B. James, Andrew W. Moore, Madeleine Glick, Adrian Wonfor, Richard Plumb, Ian H. White, Derek McAuley and Richard V. Penty, Chasing Errors through the Network Stack – A Testbed for Investigating Errors in Real Traffic on Optical Networks, IEEE Communications Magazine 2005. [pdf]
- D.McAuley, P. Barham, P. Key and K. Laevans, Congestion avoidance within aggregate channels. US Patent 7,023,800, 2006. [link]
- D. McAuley and G. Stark, Atomic Compare and Write Memory. US Patent 2009. [link]
- D.McAuley, P. Barham, P. Key and K. Laevans, Congestion avoidance within aggregate channels. US Patent 7,672,234, 2010. [link]
- D. McAuley, Free the data, Public Service Review, Central Government Issue 21, pp. 192-193, Oct 2010.[link]
- D. McAuley, Future of Technology, Cheltenham Science Festival June 2011.
- H. Haddadi, R. Mortier, D. McAuley, J. Crowcroft, Human-data interaction, CUCL tech report 837, June 2013. [pdf]
- R Mortier, H Haddadi, T Henderson, D McAuley, J Crowcroft, Human-Data Interaction: The Human Face of the Data-Driven Society, available at SSRN 2508051
- Giannachi, G., Sinker, R., Stack, J., Locatelli, C.,Carletti, L., Price, D., McAuley, D., Coughlan, T., Benford, S., ArtMaps: A Technology for Looking at Tate’s Collection, Leonardo, MIT Press, 2015.